[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Perhaps An Affirmation About Why No Unreleased Material
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partridgepal
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Perhaps An Affirmation About Why No Unreleased Material Reply with quote

Read this 40th anniversary article paying close attention to David's comments on Sony...this is why there are no unreleased materials:

http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/article/come-on-get-happy-the-partridge-family-turns-40/19625415

and why there will probably never be.....

Partridgepal Crying or Very sad

Last edited by partridgepal on Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
batmanfreak
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They owe him MILLIONS from the last three years??? For what?
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batmanfreak wrote:

Good question! What does David think he has done the past 3 years that Sony owes him millions?
Britfan
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

For not inflicting yet more of his revamped Greatest Hits on us, maybe?!! Laughing

Just kidding. I was such a fan of him and his music (still am of all his stuff up to and including the 1990 Enigma album), but he really should relent and thrash out a deal. They are never going to give him the millions he thinks he's owed so why not negotiate for what he can get instead? Oh yeah, and give something back to the loyal fans of the past 40 years! Be magnanimous for once in your life DC!

I wait in hope that I can once again look up to him the way I used to! (Well metaphorically speaking!)
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to read the article again because I misunderstood the audit time period. I thought he meant the Sony audit took three years to complete, but no, sure enough, he means an audit of the previous three years.

"It's fascinating because I've just done an audit of Sony Entertainment for the last three years only and it showed I am owed millions of dollars for television and merchandising alone. Imagine what I'm due for the last 30 years!"

The last 30 years comment makes me wonder about the origin of this quote. Could the article be a mish-mash of quotes and info from different dates? Hard to tell because there is not much here that's new.

All this to say, I'm baffled too!

BTW, good one, Britfan!
danny-boy
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some reference to contracts being rewritten...so that people whose royalties would have been up under the old rules are entitled to more, as old material is released in new formats.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Danny-boy, old material in new formats is one possibility. Something like the PF on DVD would cover his mention of television. No clue about the merchandising. Would that refer to products with his likeness on it (cups, t-shirts, calendars, etc.)? Has there been any PF or DC merchandise released in the previous three years?

All together now: "it's not about the money, it's not about the fame, it's about the work." Wink
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cast signed away any rights to the music and their likeness on the LPs/CDs when they first signed up for the series. New materials does not count here. Exploiting old, previously released material, like the DVDs and original LPs is fair game and the cast has no say on whether they get released. (That's not to say someone can't raise a stink, get a lawyer, make a lame-ass case and get an injunction until parties hash out their differences. Sound familiar?? Laughing)

Now, if Sony wanted to create NEW merchandise for today's market and use the cast, then they would have to renegotiate all over again to use their likenesses. (This is one reason why you never see Robert Reed on new Brady merchandise.)

The only reason DC has a case (as would Shirley) with the unreleased materials is because it's UNRELEASED. Very Happy
partridgepal
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Scott, I get that point...the thing is that I cannot understand is why David thinks anyone would agree to astronomical amounts of money for the unreleased stuff especially in today's declining music market....it just makes me think that he is just being spiteful...and who is suffering? Certainly not Sony.....only the fans who would love to own this material....if he holds out much longer, the few of us who are still interested, will all be senile and deaf and won't remember who the heck the Partridge family even is... Rolling Eyes .....lol....just wanna say, I , for one, appreciate you for all that you DID help us to get, if it wasn't for you, we probably wouldn't even have half of what we now have....thanks, Scott and kudos to you, I will always be a big fan of YOU!

Partridgepal Very Happy
Ralphie
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: YES! Reply with quote

I agree, Scott has been an AMAZING champion of the "PF cause!" We as fans owe him alot regarding all that we DID get released. I still won't give up hope that someday, somehow we will get the unreleased/TV tunes on a cd....stranger things have happened in this world Smile -Ralphie
batmanfreak
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

partridgepal wrote:
Yeah, Scott, I get that point...the thing is that I cannot understand is why David thinks anyone would agree to astronomical amounts of money for the unreleased stuff especially in today's declining music market....it just makes me think that he is just being spiteful...and who is suffering? Certainly not Sony.....only the fans who would love to own this material....if he holds out much longer, the few of us who are still interested, will all be senile and deaf and won't remember who the heck the Partridge family even is... Rolling Eyes .....lol....just wanna say, I , for one, appreciate you for all that you DID help us to get, if it wasn't for you, we probably wouldn't even have half of what we now have....thanks, Scott and kudos to you, I will always be a big fan of YOU!

Partridgepal Very Happy

Probably because whenever DC approaches any label about making a new album, it turns into a PF rehash in one way or another, and we all run out and buy it and talk about it on the web. I can't remember the last time I was excited about a new DC album. Probably not since the RCA years. I read somewhere he was working on a new album. Probably "The Partridge Family Unplugged" or something like that. I wouldn't put it past him to re-record the unreleased songs and put them out that way.
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Now, if Sony wanted to create NEW merchandise for today's market and use the cast, then they would have to renegotiate all over again to use their likenesses. (This is one reason why you never see Robert Reed on new Brady merchandise.)

This must be why you only see the PF logo on new merchandise & not pictures of the actors.

Darryl
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my density, but can someone give me an example of NEW PF merchandise? Besides the series' DVDs, has there been anything related to the show recently released by Sony? Also, I'm still quite unclear as to what merchandising DC is referring when he says Sony owes him television and merchandising royalties for the past three years. Did he raise a stink over the release of the series' DVDs? Is that what you mean, Scott? If all this has been discussed previously here, let me know and I'll hunt it down. I recall looking a while back and not finding it but perhaps I didn't look in the right spots.

TIA, everyone.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what DC is talking about "the past 3 years," unless he means residuals from the DVD sales, I do not know. Traditional contracts for series prior to a certain date do not have the provision for "future technologies," but perhaps the cast is entitled to a residual payment. Perhaps DC is referring to his decades-old beef with Sony about royalties from the past 30 years? I haven't a clue.

Recent merchandise included coffee mugs and t-shirts, both with the logo/birds and/or bus., but those were a while ago.
LDMartin1959
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
I don't know what DC is talking about "the past 3 years," unless he means residuals from the DVD sales, I do not know. Traditional contracts for series prior to a certain date do not have the provision for "future technologies," but perhaps the cast is entitled to a residual payment. Perhaps DC is referring to his decades-old beef with Sony about royalties from the past 30 years? I haven't a clue.

Recent merchandise included coffee mugs and t-shirts, both with the logo/birds and/or bus., but those were a while ago.
In the context of his referencing the re-negotiation of this contract (due to his being a minor when the initial contract was signed), is it possible he is meaning the last three years of the shows initial run?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: